Unniyappam, special snack of Keralan cuisine. There are varieties of Unniyappam itself. Here is a simple version of Unniyappam. The banana gives an unique taste to the appam. And the ghee roasted coconut pieces make it more and more delicious.
Try this out and reach me with your experience.
- Wheat flour/atta(கோதுமை மாவு)-1 cup
- Jaggery syrup(sarkarai pagu)
- Cardomom powder
- Ripe banana(I used kadhali பழம்)-1
- Coconut pieces
- Baking soda
- Take all the ingredients and keep ready.
- Either smash the banana or puree it in mixer to a smooth paste.
- Prepare jaggery syrup by mixing a cube of jaggery in 1/2 cup water.
- Filter it and mix to banana puree.
- To this add the wheat flour.
- Add Cardomom powder.
- Mix the batter to a thick consistency like this👇
- Roast the coconut pieces in a tspn of ghee.
Add the fried coconuts to the batter. Add baking soda.
- Take the kuzhipaniyaram or appam chatti.
- Add a tspn of ghee or oil into each dip.
- Once the oil heats up, add half a ladle of batter into it.
- Simmer the flame, let it get cooked.
- After 5 minutes, slowly turn the appam to cook the other side.
- When both the sides get cooked, take it out slowly.
- Serve and enjoy!!!!