Hello friends 👋
Every mom at some point have a question that too in the early period of feeding, am I low in my milk supply??? Are you getting more concerned with your little ones health?
The behavior of your baby, the frequency of your nursing, and how your breast feels does not determine your milk supply. If you have noted your baby gaining weight on your breast milk alone then you are sufficient enough for him. Or if your baby wets the nappy cloth frequently then you are more likely to produce enough milk that your baby needs.
Following may be the reasons behind that make you think that your milk supply is down:
- Your breast feels softer and light. This may be because it has adjusted to the need of your baby and not that it has dropped down its production.
- Your baby nurses frequently for every 1 and half an hour to 2 hours. This is only because your the breast milk digest so easily that makes your child feed often.
- When you get very low milk whole pumping. A baby with good sucking can actually have good feed and frequent feeding can actually increase your breast milk. And as babies get older they become more efficient in extracting milk.
When you start supplementing with bottle milk, your body and mind gives you a notification to produce less milk. Start feeding with alternative breasts more often. The more you remove milk efficienctly the more you produce milk. Avoid nipple shields. This may interfere your nursing.
Now coming to speed up your milk production, first understand your demand and know how milk is made.
Now coming how to increase breast milk:
- Nurse frequently
- Avoid pacifiers
- Avoid solids
- Avoid bottles
- Take good healthy lactating foods
- Take good rest and sleep when your baby sleeps.
Our body is an intelligent machine. It knows everything that it needs. The same way your body knows how much your child needs for him to grow healthy. It is only the moms making wrong. Once we start understanding the benefits and the quality of the breast milk no mother will refuse feeding. The one and only food that is very natural that can supply your baby with what it needs. It gives all the carbs, protein, vitamins, minerals, etc.etc. that nothing else can do with.
Now coming to the foods that can help you with increasing your milk supply:
- Fennel seeds:
Fennel seeds boost your milk production. You can can have it after your food as mouth freshener. You can add in your dish seasoning. You can add in your tea. You can also just add in milk and have it.
- Fenugreek seeds:
Have the sprouted fenugreek seeds in empty stomach or with a glass of milk. Saute this seeds for flavoring and seasoning.
- Spinach leaves:
Any spinach contains iron, calcium and folic acids. They help in recovery of anemic mothers. Have this in whatever form you wish and add in your daily diet. This makes your baby stronger. But have in little moderation because it may (sometimes) cause diarrhea to your baby.
- Garlic :
This is considered to be the best ingredient to increase your breast milk and boosts lactation. Add in any soups of your choice. Add in all your recipes. You can have it as garlic milk regularly.
- Crush garlic and allow it to boil in 1 glass water and reduce it to half.
- Then add a glass of milk. Allow it to boil.
- Add sugar or jaggery or honey for taste.
- Carrot juice:
Have it in the form of carrot juice or your regular way.
Barley not only boosts lactation but also keep you hydrated. You can boil barley seeds in water and have it through out the day.
- Brown rice:
Unlike other rice brown rice have lot of nutrients and support increasing your milk. Soak it for half an hour and pressure cook it.
- Tapioca and sweet potato
- Chickea(black sundal)
- Cow’s milk
- Fish(white shark and therachi)
- Meat(elumbu soup)
Avoid gas-generating foods such as potato, pulses, raw mango and raw banana. Stay away from alcohol.