Good morning 😀
Hope you all are having a good day. Yesterday night I thought of making ulunthu sadham as dinner. I am a native of nagercoil. I am not sure of other districts but there I have seen that when girls attain their puberty relatives make this ulunthu sadham along with egg aviyal and mutton gravy. Ulunthu i.e urid Dal is very good for strong bones development. I prefer to use black urid Dal. Always the original version will be better than polished one right???
Girls get weak during their periods and having dishes made of ulunthu will give them strength and help them get relief from stomach aches.
Also give this food to pregnant ladies this help brain and bones development for the fetus.
Try to include urid in your kids regular diet which provides all nutrients and strengthen the bones.
Now coming back to the recipe, try this out and give feedbacks and comments how it came for you…
Name: Ulunthu sadham.
Category: Variety rice
- Rice(normal rice you cook) – 1 cup
- Black urid dal-½ cup
- Cumin seeds-1 tspn
- Garlic pods-8
- Fenugreek seeds-½ tspn
- Grated coconut-½ cup
- Wash and soak rice for half an hour
- Wash black urid dal properly and soak for half an hour.
- Take cumin seeds and garlic pods and crush a little in either mixing jar or idikal
- After half an hour, take all the ingredients in pressure cooker and salt as your taste.
- Wait for 5-6 whistles and switch off the cooler. Let it all cool down by itself.
- If u need as Kanji you can add little hot water to it or can eat just as it is.
Coconut is only optional. Coconut enhances the flavor and taste. You can add as per your taste.
Step by step pictures:
Take garlic pods and cumin seed to crush.
Take all ingredients in pressure cooker and add salt to taste.
Wait for 5-6 whistles and then switch off the flame.
There it is ready to serve!!!!!
I served with egg aviyal. Will come up with the recipe for egg aviyal soon. Comment me how it turned out for you. 😋😋😋😋
Will post the tamil version soon guys……***
For tamil version click here:
“GOOD FOOD IS THE FOUNDATION FOR GENUINE HAPPINESS”